Tuesday 20 January 2009

The dawn of a new era ...




Or the end of civilisation as we know it? I'm going to be pontificating a bit today.

Very worrying news from the banks yesterday, RBS shares just kept going down and down, biggest corporate loss in British history apparently. I was particularly concerned to learn that RBS is worth more than the whole British economy. How is that possible? Surely RBS is a part of the British economy ... especially as we own 70% of it.

I liked that the head of the new Lloyds Banking Group, which is made up of loads of other banks, said that actually it was a good thing that their shares had "only" fallen 30% on the first day of trading. That's like me saying that I "only" knocked one glass on the floor and not three.

I still blame the government. They should have regulated the banks better. They shouldn't have allowed them to create those bundled up assets which no-one understands.

I'm going off to watch the inauguration now. I'm still not sure about Obama. He is, after all, a dog person. All that stuff about a puppy for the White House ... chuh. I should live in the White House. I would match the paintwork and I bet I would never have to worry about food there. I'm going to write to him and suggest he adopts me.

No comments: